About Me

My photo
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Mid 20s Stay at Home Mummy to Master A and Wife to DH, Michael. This blog will document my life as i try to become more sustainable, a fun mum and maybe even a domestic goddess- is there even such a thing?

Sunday 22 April 2012

What I do when I'm having a bad day

I'm having a sad, bad day today. Instead of feeling miserable all day I decided to do something about it. Hellooo new blog post :)

Bad days happen to everyone, no one can be happy 24/7, 365 days a year. It may be something or nothing that has made you angry, sad, frustrated, dissapointed or whatever feeling you are feeling.

But you still have to get up and do the mummy, housewife & work (if you work outside the home as well) jobs while trying to not let your bad mood effect your kids, other half and colleagues.

These are the steps I take to lift my mood:

1- Accept your mood:

Fighting a bad mood and not dealing with your feelings only prolongs it and frustrates you. I know beacuse today i tried ignoring it and i felt worse for it. I allowed myself to have a 15 minute Pity Party woe is me! Had a good cry, sometimes a good cry just makes you feel better I don't know why it just does. And it helps to remember that this feeling will pass. Also it helps me to warn my husband when i'm having a bad day and all i have to say is, "i'm not sure why i feel like this, i'm just having a bad day." for him to leave it at that.

2- Change your viewpoint


  • Will this matter in five years?
  • Who cares?
  • What can i learn from this?
  • What is the silver lining (the positives) in the situation?
If a situation or person has made you upset it is helpful to write out what you are going to say before you actually say it to make sure your standing up for yourself but not stepping on other peoples feelings and making them feel like you feel, as tempting as it is, it is much nicer to be the bigger person. And it lets you say everything you want to say in the one moment. Nothing worse than saying what your piece then five minutes later thinking "Darn!! I wanted to say that and this!" Its so much better to say everything at once then it will hopefully be over and done with.

And remember you can't change other people but you can change your perception of the situation. If someone cuts you off in traffic, instead of thinking "what a jerk!" and fuming all the way to work or  to the park. Think what if they were in a emergency and had to rush to get to the hospital? It may not be true and they may just be a jerk but they are gone and haven't even noticed you and its not making you feel any better fuming and getting cranky.

3- List all the things you appreciate and are thankful for, often called a gratitude journal. But you don't have to have a journal whatever you feel more comfortable with. Re-read it when you are having a bad day and try to remember to add things that made you smile throughout the day

4-Write down or keep a journal of inspirational quotes. I had a lovely list on my computer, my poor computer died and went to electronic heaven and I lost all my quotes, sometimes paper is best!

5-Have a Pick Me Up Jar

I used a little box my step mum gave me to keep my little slips of paper in, each one has a little something nice that is easy to do. If you have nice paper around you can use that or decorate a old jar with some fabric or paint. Whatever will make you smile when you look at it.

Here is my list, i am sure i'l keep adding to it and the things that fill my tank up and make me happy may not be the same for you and that is ok, add your own things that make you happy.


  • snuggle in bed with a book
  • snuggle the baby, hopefully he wants to have a cuddle most times hes to busy getting into everything
  • bake a cake
  • a pedicure or manicure and new nail polish
  • cuddle the dog or cat- studies have shown petting animals lowers blood pressure
  • burn scented candles or your favorite essential oil
  • take a bubble or milk bath
  • bring in flowers 
  • have screen free time
  • read your favourite magazine
  • go for a 30 minute brisk walk, bundle the baby into the stroller and let those endorphin's out!
  • watch a funny movie, I think il start a list of funny movies to stock up on
  • Remember to BREATH
  • watch the sunset
  • drop something from your schedule
  • look at old photos and reminisce
  • wear your favorite piece of  jewelry or clothing, I have a lovely electric blue pair of slipper socks with white wild threads, my lovely neighbor knitted me.
  • Read your favourite, uplifting blog
  • Wear your favourite perfume or piece of jewellery or outfit
  • Blow bubbles outside
  • If you can, put a hammock in your garden or on your patio, nothing like having a 15 minute swing.
  •  Have a nap


  • If overwhelmed, make a list of all the things you need to do and do the easiest first
  • Make sure you eat and drink properly. You need to fuel your body 




2 comments:

  1. Great post and list of ideas - I want a hammock and think that is a great suggestion!
    Deb @ home life simplified

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a hammock in my "secret garden" when I was growing up, I think it was the best part of my little patch of garden :)

      Delete